Here are some helpful tips to prepare for an amazing cake smash photo shoot experience!
1 – Book your session as far in advance as possible. This give me time to thoroughly plan, and make the decor items for your session! Rush photo shoots are always possible, but I appreciate the heads up :-)
2 – Really give some thought to your theme. Here are some questions to ask yourself that may help you narrow down your decision. Anything is possible, and I thoroughly encourage fun and unique themes!
- Where do you plan on displaying the photos? In the nursery? Perhaps pick a theme that goes nicely with your existing decor.
- Does your child have a favourite stuffed animal or toy?
- Do YOU have a favourite childhood theme that you want to live vicariously through your child? I know 100% that my future children will HAVE to love anything Curious George :-)
- Would you prefer something simple & elegant so the photos can be displayed regardless of colour scheme?
- Does your child’s birthday fall near a holiday such as Christmas or Easter? Always fun to incorporate a holiday theme!
- Are you having a 1st year birthday party? Stick with the same theme! I can have the photos to you prior to the event, so you can display them at the party. Nice to show off how cute your son/daughter is to all your family & friends!
Here are a few examples:
3 – Once your have decided your theme, your job is almost done. All that’s left to prepare for your cake smash session, is find a cute little outfit for your little one to wear. Etsy has some fantastic vendors that make good quality outfits. I also recommending posting on various Facebook groups as you never know if another parent has one up for grabs!
4 – In the weeks leading up to your session, it’s not a bad idea to give your little one a taste of cake. Let them explore this new food, so when they see their smash cake they are good to go!
5 – Bring an extra change of clothes for your little one. And make sure that whatever you are wearing, you don’t mind getting a little dirty! I’ve got lots of towels and baby wipes so rest assured, the mess will stay in my house :-)
6 – Bring a sippy cup with water. All that sugar needs to be washed down with a little water break!
7 – There will be a $10 additional fee if your baby doesn’t share their cake with me. Just kidding! But seriously, cakes from Sue’s Sweets are so delicious. I will have forks ready so you can nibble on some while your baby smashes!
If you’d like even more inspiration, click on the top left tab entitled “Blog Posts” and select “Cake Smash”. Here you’ll find a variety of photos, and keep an eye out on the website as I’ll soon be uploading some recent sessions!
So I hope you are feeling more prepared for your cake smash session. Any questions, feel free to reach out. I look forward to photographing your little munchkin smashing cake!